- Digestive system
- Radula absent.
- Salivary glands absent.
- Intestine and oesophagus about equal in length.
- Digestive gland unilobular.
- Female reproductive system
- Proximal oviduct twice length of distal oviduct.
Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
- Half-orange shape.
- 8 primary lamellae (total).
Figure. Ventral view of the mantle cavity of G. abyssicola showing gills, female reproductive tract and anus. Note the female oviduct terminating in a large papilla. Just anterior to the papilla is the dark anus. Photograph from O'Shea (1999).
- Optic lobe complex
- Optic lobe spherical
- Single optic nerve bundle penetrates white body.
- Upper beak with rostrum slightly deflected down; weak lateral-wall fold; rounded crest.
- Lower beak with deep hood (50% of beak length); lateral wings with two weak folds.
- Mantle and head tissues translucent.
- Arms and web tissues deep purple, not translucent.
- Sucker aperatures orange-brown.
Grimpoteuthis abyssicola: Description ContinuedSteve O'Shea and Richard E. Young
O'Shea, Steve. 1999. The Marine Fauna of New Zealand: Octopoda (Mollusca: Cephalopoda). NIWA Biodiversity Memoir 112: 280pp.
About This Page
Oceanic Sciences Research Institute, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
Page copyright © 2002 and
All Rights Reserved.