Oh my goodness! Unless you are a Tree of Life developer,
you really shouldn't be here. This page is part of our beta test site, where we
develop new features for the ToL, often messing up a thing or two in the
process. Please visit the official version of this page, which is available
Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Drawing modified from Collins, in press.
Abreviations and definitions
- AL - Arm length (arm I). Measured from the beaks to the arm tip.
- ALI - Arm length index (Arm length as % of TL or ML)
- CL - Length of longest cirrus; also CiL or MCL (max. cirrus length)
- CLI - Cirrus length index (Max. cirrus length as % of HW)
- ED - Eye diameter
- EDI - Eye diameter index (Eye diameter as % of HW)
- FL - Fin length (see illustration).
- FLI - Fin length index (Fin length as % of HW)
- FS - Fin span (see illustration)
- FW - Fin width (see illustration)
- FSI - Fin span index (Fin span as % of TL)
- HW - Head width (see illustration); distance between outer edges of lenses.
- HWI - Head width index (Head width as % of TL or ML)
- ML - Mantle length (see illustration)
- MLI - Mantle length index (Mantle length as % of TL)
- SD - Sucker diameter. Measured across largest diameter, whether of the outer rim (infundibulum) or sucker body (acetabulum) of the largest sucker; also MSD (max. sucker diam.) or ASD (arm sucker diameter).
- SDI - Sucker diameter index (Max. sucker diam. as % of HW)
- SDn - Maximum diameter of largest normal sucker.
- SDe - Maximum diameter of largest enlarged sucker (sexually dimorphic enlarged suckers are far larger than the typical suckers on the arm).
- TL - Total length. (see illustration)
Collins, M. A. In press. The genus Grimpoteuthis (Octopoda: Grimpoteuthidae) in the North-east Atlantic, with descriptions of three new species.
About This Page
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D. C. , USA
Katharina M. Mangold (1922-2003)
Laboratoire Arago, Banyuls-Sur-Mer, France
Page copyright © 2002 , , and Katharina M. Mangold (1922-2003)
Page: Tree of Life
Cirrate Measurements and Indices
Richard E. Young, Michael Vecchione, and Katharina M. Mangold (1922-2003).
The TEXT of this page is licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media
featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available
for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the
relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and
redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright