Liguriella podophtalmaRichard E. Young and Katharina M. Mangold (1922-2003)
Liguriella contains one recognized species. Voss, et al. (1992), however, suggest that two or more species exist.
These are moderate sized squid, reaching at least 243 mm ML (Voss, et al. 1992). Little is known about their biology.
A taoniin ...
- with contiguous ocular photophores.
- with short fins.
- with tubercules at funnel-mantle fusion.
- Tentacular club with suckers only.
- Carpal cluster absent.
- Two series of suckers and knobs on tentacular stalk.
- Funnel valve absent
- Funnel organ: Dorsal pad with three papillae.
- Tubercles present at funnel-mantle fusion.
- Posterior insertion of fins at distal end of gladius.
- All but anterior margin of fins insert on vanes of gladius.
- Two contiguous photophores (one large, one small) on each eye.*
- Arm tip photophores absent.
*Unusual within family; shared with Sandalops.
Characteristics are from Voss (1980).
Voss, et al. (1992) illustrated a paralarva and a juvenile but state that only subadults and adults can be confidently identified. Note the elongate "club" of the paralarva.
The genus occurs circumglobally in tropical and subtropical oceans (Voss, et al. 1992).
Voss, N. A. 1980. A generic revision of the Cranchiidae (Cephalopoda; Oegopsida). Bull. Mar. Sci., 30: 365-412.
Voss N. A., S. J. Stephen and Zh. Dong 1992. Family Cranchiidae Prosch, 1849. Smithson. Contr. Zool., 513: 187-210.
Page copyright © 2016 and Katharina M. Mangold (1922-2003)
Page: Tree of Life Liguriella Authored by . Liguriella podophtalma . Richard E. Young and Katharina M. Mangold (1922-2003). The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- Content changed 16 November 2016
Citing this page:
Young, Richard E. and Katharina M. Mangold (1922-2003). 2016. Liguriella http://tolweb.org/Liguriella_podophtalma/19552/2016.11.16 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Liguriella podophtalma . Version 16 November 2016 (under construction).